Category: More Trivia
A 24-year-old commercial model, who was born in Australia to a Scottish father and Filipino mother and studied in the United States, becomes the first woman to represent the Philippines in Miss World and Miss Universe beauty pageants. After placing in the top five of the Miss World competition in 2016, Catriona Gray won the Miss Universe-Philippines 2018 national pageant, along with the opportunity to represent the country in the global contest.
Here are some interesting trivia about Iligan City and Lanao del Sur province, which were contributed by Mr. Arnold Garbanzos.
- "First and largest Christian settlement in the country" -Dr. Mamitua Saber, Historian of the Sociology Department of the Mindanao State University
- First Steel plant in Southeast Asia-National Steel Corporation
- First hydro electric generating plant in the country-National Power Corporation
- First city in Mindanao where the unfurling of the Guinness "largest flag" was made-Global Steel (formerly National Steel Corporation) Football ground
- Site of the first national gathering of MBelievers
- Site of the first Haggai National Training Seminar outside Metro Manila
As requested by our guests, here are some of the interesting inventions and discoveries by Filipino inventors and scientists. The list is not anyway complete, and it is advised that our readers consult other materials for confirmation of the following facts.
Ampalaya solution against HIV – Maria Carlita Rex Doran
Artificial bone replacement systems – Ramon Gustilo
Artifical coral reefs – Angel Alcala
Banana catsup – Maria Ylagan Orosa
Ms. Rubilen Amit became the first female world champion in billiards from the Philippines, when she pocketed the World Women’s 10-Ball Championship held at the Block of SM North in Quezon City in June 2009.
The 27-year-old Amit of Mandaue City, Cebu beat two-time world champion Liu Shin-mei of Taiwan, 10-4, to win the crown and $20,000.
Filipinos have long dominated world billiards as champions with the likes of Efren “Bata” Reyes, Django Bustamante, Alex Pagulayan, and Ronnie Alcano, to name a few. But it was the first time a Filipina held the world championship.
Meanwhile, a visitor in our site logged in the following information, to correct our entry on the first religious order in the Philippines.