Interesting Facts about Iligan and Marawi
Here are some interesting trivia about Iligan City and Lanao del Sur province, which were contributed by Mr. Arnold Garbanzos.
- "First and largest Christian settlement in the country" -Dr. Mamitua Saber, Historian of the Sociology Department of the Mindanao State University
- First Steel plant in Southeast Asia-National Steel Corporation
- First hydro electric generating plant in the country-National Power Corporation
- First city in Mindanao where the unfurling of the Guinness "largest flag" was made-Global Steel (formerly National Steel Corporation) Football ground
- Site of the first national gathering of MBelievers
- Site of the first Haggai National Training Seminar outside Metro Manila
- Iligan is the site of the Central Book room of the Local Churches in the Philippines.
- Gateway to the Heart of Central Mindanao.
- Home of the majestic waterfalls – Maria Cristina Falls.
- The Eagle headed shaped City of the Philippines.
- The Industrial City of the South.
- The City in the Philippines with the longest fiesta-31 days!!
- Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur are twins – they have the "same birthday" – July 4 of every year – the only province in the Philippines with a twin.
- June 16, 1950 is the charter day of Iligan while the same date is the day in 1956 when Dansalan was officially changed to Marawi.
- All Iliganons traced their roots to the Maranao Tribe.
- Tomas Cabili an Iliganon was the one who authored the chartering of Marawi into a city in 1940, while Muhammad Ali Dimaporo, a Maranao was the one who authored the chartering of Iligan into a city in 1950.
- Iligan is a tri-people city-Lumads, Christians and Muslims.
- It is part of Region 10, but enjoys the previledges of Region 12 i.e. Muslim holidays
THE ILIGAN-MALACANANG CONNECTION
- The Philippines has the longest Christmas in the world, while Iligan has the longest fiesta in the Philippines.
- The seat of power in the Philippines is Malacanang, while the seat of hydroelectric power in MIndanao is Iligan.
- The country code of the Philippines is 63, while the area code of Iligan is 63.
- The "patron saint" of Malacanang is Michael the Archangel, while the "patron saint" of Iligan is Michael the Archangel.
- Philipp in Greek means "lovers of horses", while Iligan in the Higaonon tribe means "fortress". Horses and Fortresses in the Bible both refer to war.
- President GMA used to stay in Iligan, now she is in Malacanang.
MARAWI AND LANAO DEL SUR:
- The only Islamic City in the Philippines.
- The camel headed shaped province of the Philippines.
- Home of Lake Lanao-one of the oldest and deepest lake in the world-source of unending freshspring water.
- Kilometer Zero of Mindanao.
- The "Baguio City" of the South.
- Central seat of government of the American forces in Mindanao during the early 1900s.
- Home of the Mindanao State University(MSU) System.